Brunswick Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. Contact SACSCOC at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Brunswick Community College. The Commission is only to be contacted for accreditation-related issues.
What is SACSCOC?
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges is the “regional body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern states”.
Why is this important?
Being accredited means that BCC’s College Transfer courses will be accepted at four year colleges and universities and that BCC can receive financial aid for students. BCC is required to re-affirm our accreditation every ten years. A part of that re-affirmation is the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP).
What is a Quality Enhancement Plan?
A Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is a project researched and developed by the institution that is focused on improving student learning outcomes. This five-year plan receives full institutional support and involvement and it defines goals and ways to measure the success of the project. SACSCOC will review BCC’s QEP during an on-campus visit in October of 2018.
What is BCC’s QEP?
For our QEP, BCC will be encouraging students to SWIM (Start strong, Work hard, Increase knowledge, Master courses). SWIM focuses on improving students’ performance in first-year gateway courses. For BCC, those gateway courses are English (ENG 111) and math (MAT 143, 152, and 171). Students who are successful in gateway courses the first time through tend to complete their entire program on time.
How will SWIM affect students?
As part of the development of the QEP, we asked students, staff, faculty, and community members about areas that need improvement. As a result, a variety of supporting features will be added to gateway courses, including stronger academic supports, more tutoring opportunities, additional supplementary courses and better quality hybrid and online courses.
For the most current information on BCC’s accreditation click here.
Recognized and/or Approved by
- American Council on Exercise
- Council on Accreditation
- North Carolina Board of Nursing
- National Academy of Sports Medicine
- North Carolina Board of Refrigeration
- North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities
- North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission
- North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles
- North Carolina Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
- North Carolina Funeral Directors Association
- North Carolina Motorcycle Safety Education Program
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission
- North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board
- North Carolina State Approving Agency for Veterans and Military Education
- North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges
- North Carolina State Board of Cosmetic Arts
- North Carolina Community College System
- South Carolina Board of Nursing
- Southeastern Center for Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse
- World Instructor Training School
Institutional Memberships, Affiliations, and Certifying Agencies
- American Association of Community Colleges
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Association of Community College Trustees
- Brunswick County Chamber of Commerce
- Carolinas Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
- Carolinas Golf Course Superintendents Association
- Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics & Information Management Education
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation
- Little River Chamber of Commerce
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Officers
- National Center for Construction Education and Research
- National Coalition for Campus Children’s Centers
- National Junior College Athletic Association, Region X
- National League for Nursing
- National Organization for Associate Degree Nursing
- North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners
- North Brunswick Chamber of Commerce
- North Carolina Associate Degree Nursing Council
- North Carolina Association of Community College Business Officials
- North Carolina Association of Community College Trustees
- North Carolina Community College Planning and Research Organization
- North Carolina Comprehensive Community College Student Government Association
- North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation
- North Carolina Landscape Contractors Association
- North Carolina Nursery and Landscape Association
- North Carolina Office of Emergency Medical Services
- North Carolina Office of State Fire Marshal
- North Carolina State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors
- Safety and Health Council of North Carolina
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges