Please join Economic & Workforce Development and the Foundation of Brunswick Community College for “Building Your Nonprofit Dream Team” presented by Carol Weisman of Board Builders, Inc.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
1pm – 5pm
Odell Williamson Auditorium Event Center
About Carol Weisman
Carol Weisman is the president of Board Builders. She is an internationally known speaker, author, trainer and consultant who specializes in volunteerism, fund raising and governance. Carol works primarily in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK. She has served on 36 boards and has been president of 7. She has a Master’s Degree Social Work from Washington University. One of her nine published books, “Raising Charitable Children”, is in its 3rd printing and was featured in The New York Times, Parade Magazine, and Scholastic Parent and Child. Carol currently serves on the boards of Trailnet and the Friends of the Children’s Eternal Rain Forest in Costa Rica. She is the only speaker on fundraising and governance who has also done stand-up comedy.
About the Seminar
There will be two 1.5 hour sessions:
Recruiting and Orienting Your Nonprofit Dream Team
Great board members don’t grow on trees. There has to be a strategy as to where to find them orient them and keep them involved. You will learn:
- -Where to find board members who are different from your current members, even in the smallest of towns
- -How to create a mentoring program
- -How to develop a board orientation that is so terrific your members will want to bring their friends and relatives
- -Also, how to let your trustees go when you no longer need their particular skills, talents or expertise without inciting hurt or a nuclear reaction.
- -Some board members already are passionate about your mission. Some need to be educated. You will learn how to create a “mission moment”
- -How to reinforce the behavior you need while discouraging the inappropriate
- -How to create a board that is mission focus, joyful, productive and has fun.
Helping 100% of your board getting involved in the fundraising processThe bad news: No one joined a nonprofit board because they thought it was a great opportunity to fundraise. The good news: EVERYONE can be happily, effectively and creatively involved in the fundraising process. In this session, we will cover the following:
- -The 3 steps of fundraising: cultivation, the ask and stewardship
- -The importance of solicitors giving their own gift
- -The role of staff in fundraising
- -The work of the fundraising committee
- -The challenges of restricted and unrestricted funds
- -The checkers versus chess school of fundraising
- -Creating a menu of fundraising choices for your board and volunteers Top of FormBottom of Form