Brunswick Community College is a tax-supported, public, nonprofit school under the control of a board of Trustees. It was established by the North Carolina Legislature in July 1979 under provisions of the General Statutes of North Carolina, Chapter 115-A, passed by the Legislature in 1963. It is supervised by the North Carolina Community College System and the North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges. Brunswick Community College was chartered as Brunswick Technical Institute.
On May 1, 1979, the General Assembly passed a bill to permit technical institutes to change their names to technical colleges with the approval of the Board of Trustees and the Brunswick County Board of Commissioners. On October 5, 1979, the Board of Trustees, with the approval of the Brunswick County Board of Commissioners, voted unanimously to change the name of the institution to Brunswick Technical College.
The College received its initial accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1983. In 1988, the College’s name was changed to Brunswick Community College to reflect statewide changes in community colleges.
Brunswick Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. Contact SACSCOC at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Brunswick Community College. The Commission is only to be contacted for accreditation-related issues.
For the most current information on BCC’s accreditation click here.