Career Programs (Professional/Technical)
The Career Programs (Professional/Technical) division offers Associate, Diploma, and Certificate programs that prepare students for entry-level jobs in professional fields. These programs provide students with specialized training and skills that enable them to become employable and competent in their discipline and, in many cases, earn industry-recognized certifications. In addition to job placement, opportunities for students to earn academic credit allowing them to matriculate successfully in a four-year college or university are provided.
Career Programs (Professional/Technical) vary in length: Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degrees, from 61-76 credit hours; Diploma programs range from 36-48 hours; Certificate programs range from 12-18 credit hours; and the Associate in Science transfer degree with a concentration in Computer Science, 61 credits. Classes are taught in traditional, online, and/or hybrid/blended formats to ensure students have the flexibility necessary to be successful in their educational goals.
University Transfer Opportunities
A majority of Career Programs (Professional/Technical) at BCC have bilateral agreements for the transferability of Associate in Applied Science degrees with various public and private four-year institutions. In addition, Career Programs (Professional/Technical) Degree programs are specifically designed to contain Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA), or Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) courses that transfer to a UNC four-year system institution, provided the student makes a “C” or better in the course.
These transfer and bilateral articulation agreements are of great benefit to students as they often provide opportunities to enter four-year institutions with junior status. For instance, North Carolina Wesleyan College, The University of Mount Olive, and UNC Pembroke are just a few of the colleges that offer four-year degree transfer opportunities to any BCC Professional and Technical Program graduate. Participating programs include:
- Accounting and Finance with UNC Greensboro
- Business Administration with UNC Greensboro and Lees McRae College
- Early Childhood Education with UNC Greensboro, UNC Wilmington, and Barton College (NOTE: UNC four-year public institutions also except Early Childhood Education Programs under a statewide Transfer Articulation Agreement for students wanting to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree Birth-Kindergarten teaching licensure program or a Bachelor’s Degree in a related Early Education non-licensure program.)
- Health and Fitness Science with UNC Pembroke and UNCW
- Health Information Technology with UNC Greensboro; pending approval with UNC Wilmington and East Carolina University
- Information Technology with UNC Greensboro, East Carolina University, University of Mt. Olive, and Seminole State University
- Criminal Justice Technology with Lees McRae College, NC Wesleyan, UNC Pembroke, and Fayetteville State University
Additional information on these agreements is available within BCC’s Catalog and Student Handbook for each participating Program of Study.